Saturday, April 10, 2010

We need better managers in Indian software industry

I decided to keep writing on my blog and write frequently. However, its been really difficult to stick to that decision because of the constant and huge amount of work that keeps coming up and is definitely on a higher priority. I will keep trying though :)

One of the things that I have been fed up with in the past few months is how it seems like this "disease" is spread almost in the whole of Indian software industry. The disease is : bad managers.

Some of the traits I can gather about these managers are :

  • they have lost touch with programming and hence lost respect among developers. In more worse situations, they are complete 'fuck-ups' with really poor programming skills. And still they choose to show off their "knowledge" at times ! seriously, you bastard !

  • they keep using these buzzwords, business jargon too much. I am fine with the fact that you choose good words to express yourself, but if you overdo it you sound like an idiot, show-offish guy. And the developers get pissed off and the natural reaction is "Fuck off you idiot! you are screwing my precious time".

  • they don't understand that they need to trust good developers and encourage them, and moreover prevent less skilled ones coming into the team.

  • they are too servile to foreign colleagues. This is so disgusting ! I mean c'mon you assholes, we are a free nation now, we work for them, we aren't their slaves !



I feel a lot of this is because of the way Indian software has been evolving since its inception. We started out as a cheap outsourcing destination, then services industry and now there are some people bringing in the product development aspect. As we have more and more product development and skilled programmers rise up the chain, we can expect things to change. I am not very sure about this but I hope it happens :)

No comments: